Why Is It So Difficult To Create Habits?



Have you ever tried to keep to a new healthy habit, such as exercising and eating healthy, but couldn't seem to get it to stick?!

If that's the case, you're not alone.

One of the most ESSENTIAL yet DIFFICULT behavioural improvements we can make is developing new good habits!

Towards the end of the year, many of us start thinking about how to start improving our healthy habits.

But research shows that many positive behaviour changes we try to make are often unsuccessful because the strategies for MAINTAINING these changes long-term aren't there!

Today, I will share a quick tip on how to help you do that.


Hack to Make a New Health Habit… Easy!

I found out about the "cue-response method" to establish new habits and I have been using it, I have been getting positive results.

The Cue-response method is about using your existing habits as a TRIGGER to LINK with a new habit!

It can be used in two ways:

1. Habit switching: Habit switching is when you switch a bad habit for a good habit. 

Example: Link watching your favourite TV Show/Movie + Exercising (skipping, jumping jacks, etc)! When you're about to sit on the couch to watch some TV, you'll remember "Oh! I promised myself I would only watch this while I'm exercising!". 

Another example: Link drinking Soda to Zobo (Hibiscus tea) or milk drink or greek yoghurt! When you're about to purchase a soda drink, you'll remember "Oh! I promised myself I will only consume soda drink once a week, so I will go for zobo or greek yoghurt!".


2. Habit linking: is linking up a good habit with a new good habit. 

Example: Link showering + exercise! Before you take a shower (trigger), you will remember "Oh, I'm supposed to exercise first!". 

Another example: Link consuming lots of carbohydrates + balancing your diet! When you dish your plate of rice and fish sauce with a soda drink, you'll remember "Oh! I promised myself I will only consume a moderate proportion of carbohydrates and protein with lots of veggies and water.


It may seem small, but adding a little bit of exercise into your current daily routine makes a BIG difference when you do this consistently.

Instead of fighting with yourself, debating whether you should go exercise now or later… This hack has already been decided & automated for you.

I know your life is already busy.

BUT when we start thinking of using our existing busy schedule as a TRIGGER to fit in new healthy habits... we start thinking about our potential in a whole new way.

That's what has been helping me transform my wellness lifestyle.

Hope you found this helpful.

Stay safe & stay healthy,

Wellness Maya.


Comments